March 23, 2012
Maury Regional Medical Center announces support group meeting dates for April
COLUMBIA, Tenn.—Maury Regional Medical Center offers a variety of education and support groups led by dedicated staff members who volunteer their time and expertise to help ensure community members learn more about managing their health. The following groups will be meeting in April and the community is encouraged to attend:
- A smoking cessation course series will be offered each Monday in April, beginning April 2. The four-week course will be held at 6 p.m. in the First Floor Conference Room. All instructors are health professionals who are former smokers. Participants are asked to purchase a $10 guide with exercises for each class topic. Smoking cessation courses are offered quarterly. For more information or to register, call 931.490.7076.
- The Diabetes Education Group will meet on April 3 at 11:30 a.m. in the medical center’s Private Dining Room One. Dr. Stan Dickerson will discuss “Diabetes & Eye Complications.” Topics will include how diabetes causes eye complications, treatment options, glaucoma, cataracts and retinopathy. The group meets regularly on the first Tuesday of the month. The public is invited to attend these free meetings. For more information, call 931.540.4324.
- Lungs for Life, the COPD Support Group, will meet on April 4 at 2 p.m. in Private Dining Room One. Respiratory therapist Lisa Trimble will discuss oxygen therapy and traveling with oxygen. Lungs for Life meets on the first Wednesday of each month to promote self-care and management of COPD. There is no charge to attend these meetings. For more information, call 931.380.4094.
- The Celiac Support Group will meet at 5 p.m., April 12 in the First Floor Conference Room. Those who are on a gluten-free diet and family members are invited to attend this free quarterly meeting. Topics to be discussed include recipes, Web sites, cookbooks and other resources. Anyone with resources to share is invited to bring them. For more information, call 931.381.1111, ext. 1275.
- The Ostomy Partners Support Group will meet on April 26 at 10 a.m. in the First Floor Conference Room. Persons with an ileostomy, colostomy or urostomy as well as their families and friends are invited to attend this free meeting. The group meets monthly on the fourth Thursday of each month. More information is available by calling Rita Hillis, RN, at 931.490.4600.
- The Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 5:30 p.m. on April 16 in the Women’s Center located in the Outpatient Pavilion on the campus of Maury Regional Medical Center. The group meets regularly on the third Monday of each month. There is no charge to attend these programs. For more information, please call Dana Salters at 931.540.4166.
- Expectant parent classes are also offered each month with a variety of course topics, including a comprehensive six-hour class, breastfeeding, and a siblings class designed for new brothers and sisters. Classes are free with the exception of Lamaze® and infant CPR. For a complete list of classes, visit mauryregional.com or call 931.490.7046.