October 31, 2007
FLU SHOTS AVAILABLE AT SPRING HILL MEDICAL BUILDING
SPRING HILL, Tenn. – Vaccinations for influenza—commonly known as flu—are available at the Spring Hill Medical Building, located at 5421 Main Street near Home Depot. Vaccinations will be given on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at a cost of $32. Insurance will be filed for patients.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, an average of 226,000 people are hospitalized every year due to influenza and 36,000 die, mostly the elderly. Influenza is a contagious disease caused by the influenza virus, which spreads from infected persons to the nose or throat of others. Symptoms include fever, sore throat, cough, headache, fatigue and muscle aches.
Influenza vaccination is the single most important measure one can take to prevent contracting this disease. Those recommended for vaccination include:
- All children from 6 months up to 5 years of age
- Anyone 50 years of age or older
- Those 6 months to 18 years of age on long-term aspirin treatment
- Women who are pregnant
- Anyone with long-term health problems
- Anyone with a weakened immune system
- Those with certain muscle or nerve disorders
- Individuals who care for people at high risk for influenza-related complications
Children ages 6 months to 9 years will only be given the shot if they have been vaccinated in previous years. Those not previously vaccinated should see their primary care physician.
For more information, call 615.794.3414 or 931.486.2890.