Magnet: A Journey to Excellence
A strategic initiative for Maury Regional Medical Center is becoming a Magnet facility. We began our journey to becoming e a Magnet facility by being the first (1st) hospital in Tennessee to be designated as a Pathway to Excellence facility, awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). In our continuing pursuit of Magnet, a second designation as a Pathway to Excellence recognized hospital is on target for 2016.
What is the Magnet Recognition Program?
The Magnet program, sponsored by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) recognizes quality patient care, nursing excellence and professional practice. It serves as the gold standard for nursing excellence.
The Magnet Model:
Magnet consists of four domains. Each of the domains has stringent standards and certain requirements called empirical outcomes that must be met by an organization in order to be designated as Magnet. The four domains are: Transformational Leadership, Structural Empowerment, Exemplary Professional Practice, and New Knowledge, Innovations & Improvements.
Why pursue Magnet?
There are numerous reasons to pursue this designation. Some of the primary ones are listed below:
- Focuses on quality outcomes
- Supports patient-centered care
- Provides consumers with the ultimate benchmark to measure the quality of care they can expect to receive
- Research by L. Aiken, PhD, FAAN, FRCN, RN shows Magnet facilities outperform peers in recruiting and retaining nurses
The environment in a Magnet facility benefits both patients and staff. Some
of those benefits include:
- Enhanced safety mechanisms and practices
- Improved clinical outcomes
- Higher patient satisfaction
- Decrease in healthcare acquired infections
- Lower complication rates
- Lower mortality rates/ morbidity rates
- Increased loyalty to the organization
- Higher workplace satisfaction
- Higher job satisfaction
- Engagement in daily professional practice
- Governance over own practice
- Retention and recruitment of skilled clinicians
- Professional development program/opportunities
- Enhanced working relationships with all departments and disciplines