Aquatic Physical Therapy
Aquatic physical therapy is designed for rehabilitation of physical impairments. By performing restorative exercises in a swimming pool, aquatic physical therapy adds a safe new dimension to recovery and can be a valuable tool in your physical therapy regimen.
You do not have to know how to swim to receive aquatic physical therapy. If you are uncomfortable wearing a bathing suit, dark shorts and a t-shirt are allowed. Aquatic physical therapy is available at the Maury County YMCA . If you use a wheelchair for mobility, there is a lift chair to assist getting you in and out of the YMCA pool.
What conditions are treated with aquatic therapy?
Aquatic physical therapy is a safe, low-impact treatment beneficial for patients with numerous conditions as well as recovery following orthopedic surgery. Those who may benefit include patients who have experienced:
• ACL repair
• Back pain
• Decreased mobility and endurance
• Neurological disorders
• Knee scope
• Most other conditions causing pain
• Multiple sclerosis
• Muscle strains
• Orthopedic problems, pre-operative and post-operative
• Pediatric disorders
• Recent mastectomy
• Recovery after a broken bone
• Sports injuries
• Sprained ankle
• Total hip replacement
• Total knee replacement
What makes aquatic therapy different from other types of exercise?
Patients often remark, “I could never do these exercises on land.”
The water provides a good environment for strengthening the body without the pain many people feel from “regular” exercises.
What are the benefits of aquatic therapy?
• Decreased weight bearing through your spine and lower extremities
• Buoyancy of water makes exercising easier and less painful
• Increased resistance from moving against the water for strengthening
• Heated pool helps with flexibility and loosening up stiff joints
• Decreased pain with aquatic exercises can help increase endurance
• Increased hydrostatic pressure to aid in decreasing swelling in the back/lower leg
Will my insurance cover aquatic therapy?
Most insurance companies have aquatic therapy as a covered benefit. As a courtesy to you, we will contact your insurance carrier prior to your first visit to determine if your insurance will cover your treatment.
Once a physician referral is obtained, an evaluation may be scheduled by calling Maury Regional's Physical Therapy Center at 931.380.4014 or Sports Physical Therapy at 931.388.3850.