This yummy tostada recipe makes a satisfying healthy lunch or dinner. Black beans, zucchini, corn and cherry tomatoes make this colorful vegetarian recipe delicious and nutritious.
- 8 corn tortillas (6-inch diameter)
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup corn cooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 oz grated reduced-fat white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (1/4 cup)
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 small avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- Lime wedges, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange tortillas on 2 baking sheets and toast in oven until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from baking sheets.
- Lightly spray baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Spread beans and onion on one and zucchini and jalapeños on the other. Lightly coat vegetables with cooking spray, season with the black pepper and roast until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer half the beans and onion to a bowl with the water and mash beans with the back of a fork until smooth. (Add more water to reach desired consistency, if necessary.) Spread mixture onto tortillas.
- Toss remaining beans and onion with zucchini, jalapeños and corn and divide among tortillas. Top each tostada with tomatoes, cilantro, cheese, scallions and avocado. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Saturated Fat: 2g
Copyright 2016-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: February 6, 2017
Editorial Review: Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Dietary Review: Jane Schwartz, RD